Monday, May 12, 2008

My 1st Mother's Day

WARNING!!! This post may not be suitable for diabetics.

I've always known my mom loved me. I never knew how much until I had my own daughter. I'm sure I'm not the first to say, but, anyone who doesn't believe in love at first sight has never had a child. The moment the doctor lay Lily on my chest- wet, warm, scared and screaming, I knew I loved her more than I'd ever be able to express. Of course, I loved her long before I ever saw her face to face.

Honestly, I feel that being celebrated myself on Mother's Day is unnecessary. Being a mom is a privilege; it is the gift. I feel like I should be giving thanks instead of vice versa, because I've been granted the honor of being a mother. So, despite the fact that I can now lay claim to the holiday, what Mother's Day is about to me remains what it has always been: my mom.

Thank you, Mom, for being strong enough to let me be my own person; to let make my own choices and mistakes. Thank you for always encouraging me to be myself, and for making sure that I always knew that if someone doesn't like me as I am, it's their loss; there are plenty of people out there who will. Thank you for loving me even when you didn't like me. Thank you, Mom, for loving me like I love Lily.

No comments: